11 FACTS ABOUT LOYALHANNA CREEK IN SOUTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
You can make it happen by voting before December 15, 2014.
Help Loyalhanna Creek beat out the Ohio River, the Neshaminy Creek and Watershed,
Conewango Creek, and the Lackawanna River.
Winner receives a $10,000 grant to promote the creek
through various programs and events throughout the coming year.
For more information contact Angela Vitkoski at email@example.com
Westmoreland County’s Loyalhanna Creek isn’t the nearest trout stream to metropolitan Pittsburgh, but the volume, breadth, minimal overhang, variety of water types and abundance of stocked trout through the Loyalhanna Gorge has made it a invaluable classroom for countless Southwestern Pennsylvania anglers. The natural beauty of Westmoreland County and the water flowing gracefully down Loyalhanna Creek attract people from near and far.^^^^
As one would expect, the Loyalhanna Creek does hold some secrets. There’s one particular boulder — I won’t tell you where — that for decades has remained undercut by the current. Even in the summer when Loyalhanna Creek is low and the water warms, big trout find comfort at the edge of the current a yard or more under the protection of the rock, picking off any Wooly Bugger that passes.^
Below is a quiz to test your knowledge of the Loyalhanna Creek.
- What was the original 18th century name of Loyalhanna Creek and what did it mean?
- What is the Loyalhanna Creek?
- Where is the Loyalhanna Creek located and where does it originate?
- The Kiskiminetas River results from the confluence of the Loyalhanna creek and what other waterway? Where does this confluence occur?
- What unique siting was made along Loyalhanna Creek on May 17, 1987, and who made it?
- What part of the Loyalhanna Creek is stocked with fish each spring?
- What is the elevation of the mouth of the Loyalhanna Creek?
- When is the Loyalhanna Creek classified as a river?
- The Loyalhanna Creek Watershed encompasses how many square miles and how many miles of miles of stream?
- Why was the Conemaugh River green, and the Loyalhanna Creek usually orange?
Name the 6 sections of the Loyalhanna Creek, and the mileage of each.
To check (or learn) the answers click on MORE