NOTE: CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS now located at
11 FACTS ABOUT FATHER’S DAY
See also 11 Facts About Flag Day: June 14
Below is a list of unusual Father’s Day facts for the holiday enlightenment, presented in the form of a question. Answers are revealed by clicking on the MORE link at the end of the quiz.
- Who signed the public law that made Father’s Day a permanent celebration?
- One of the first religious Father’s Day services was held in 1908 in Fairmont, West Virginia. Grace Golden Clayton, a member of the Williams Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church South, suggested this service. Why?
- Who is credited with conceiving the idea of Father’s Day?
- President Woodrow Wilson attempted to make Father’s Day an official holiday in 1916. Why didn’t Congress pass the bill?
- Name the Father’s Day the official flower, and it’s color.
- Father’s Day is a time set aside to value a father’s role in one’s life and to reflect upon paternal bonding. It is marked by spending time with one’s father or giving him a gift. According to the U. S. Census Bureau, what are the six most popular gifts?
- Why did Sonora Smart Dodd promote a Father’s Day celebration?
- Hallmark Card company claims that sending Father’s Day cards ranks what card-sending spot?
- Why was June 19 proclaimed the first Father’s Day celebration in 1910 by Spokane’s mayor?
- Internationally, Father’s Day is often associated with International Men’s Day. What does International Men’s Day celebrate?
How do Australia, Russia, and a native Hindu and Buddhist community in Nepal celebrate Father’s Day?
To find the answers click on MORE
- President Richard Nixon in 1972.*
- To remember 250 fathers killed in a mining accident, fathers who left about 1000 children fatherless. Her father was one of the fatalities. *****
- Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington.*
- Sonora Smart Dodd’s promotion efforts included working with business groups that would profit from the holiday. However, commercial promotion of the holiday led to many believing it was shallow and this commercial aspect caused Congress to not pass the bill. In 1957 Margaret Chase Smith, a senator from Maine, stated that it was unfair to honor mothers and not fathers.*****
- The rose. A red rose signifies a living father, while white one represents a deceased father.***
- First, neck ties, then gifts include hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers, or those with a sporty theme: golf clubs and fishing rods.^
- Sonora Smart Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran whose wife, who died in childbirth, was left to raise their six children on a farm.*
- Father’s Day makes up the fifth-largest card-sending holiday in the world.***
- It was the month of Smart’s birth.*
- It honors males who do not have children. Men’s Day is celebrated at the same time in some regions, which is a holiday marked by groups of men to go hiking large wagons holding alcohol and food and then often consume to the point of drunkenness. However, many Father’s chose to celebrate with their families instead.*****
BONUS QUESTION ANSWER
In Australia, YMCA Victoria presents the Local Community Father of the Year award throughout 32 municipalities.*****
Russia’s Defender of the Fatherland Day, honors the Red Army establishment during the Russian Civil War*****
A native Hindu and Buddhist community in Nepal honors the holiday by going to the Shiva Temple while others go to Bahal in order to honor deceased fathers.*****
This list is compatible with the May 26, 2014, WordPress Weekly Prompt, List Lesson, which challenges writers to write a list that transcends its orderly or numbered format. Separating the answers from the list of questions fulfills the challenge, I believe.