11 FACTS ABOUT MAY DAY
Mother’s Day is May 11, 2014. Below is a trivia quiz for you. Enjoy.
- What was Mother Teresa’s pre-nun name?
- What inspired Anna Jarvis to found Mother’s Day?
- How do children in Yugoslavia celebrate”Materitse,” Materice, or Mother’s Day?
- At what age does a woman’s body make preparations for her motherhood?
- Who holds the record for the shortest interval between two births?
- What is the modern world record for giving birth to the most children?
- Name the president and the year that orders were signed making Mother’s Day a national holiday.
- Why did Anna Jarvis, founder of Mother’s Day, file a lawsuit concerning that day?
- When and where was the first Mother’s Day observance held in the United States?
- Who does the Hindu scripture credit with the invention of writing through alphabets, pictographs and beautiful sacred images?
How old was the youngest mother, Peruvian Lina Medina, who gave birth in 1939? ______ How old was the oldest mother, Maria del Carmen Bousada Lara (Spain, b. 5 January 1940), when she delivered a child? ______ The first wife of Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782) of Shuya, Russia, gave birth to how many children? ______
To learn the answers click on MORE…
- Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, the youngest child of Nikola and Drane Bojaxhiu, in Skopje, Albania, part of the Macedonian empire, on August 26, 1910. She became a Catholic Missionary nun in 1928 and changed her name from Agnes to Teresa, inspired by Saint Thérèse of Lisieux. She joined the Irish order ‘The Sisters of Loreto’, known for their missionary work in the Indian subcontinent.^
- Anna’s mother presented a class prayer at the conclusion of a lesson on ‘Mothers of the Bible..” Her daughter, age 12 and 9th of her 11 children, heard her pray: I hope that someone, sometime will found a memorial mothers day commemorating her for the matchless service she renders to humanity in every field of life. She is entitled to it. Anna never forgot that prayer, and at her mother’s graveside service, Anna’s brother Claude heard her recall that prayer and say “…by the grace of God, you shall have that Mothers Day.”
- They tie up their mother, releasing her only when she has paid them with sweets or other goodies.
- When the female embryo is six weeks old it develops egg cells for future offspring. When the baby girl is born each of her ovaries carries about a million egg cells, all that she will ever have.^^
- Jayne Bleackley is the mother who holds the record for the shortest interval between two children born in separate confinements. She gave birth to Joseph Robert on September 3, 1999, and Annie Jessica Joyce on March 30, 2000. The babies were born 208 days apart.
- Chilean Leontina Albina from San Antonio, Chile, claims to be the mother of 64 children. However, only 55 of them are documented. She is listed in the 1999 Guinness World Records but dropped from later editions. ***
- 1914. President Woodrow Wilson.
- The lawsuit was an effort to stop the over-commercialization of Mother’s Day. She lost her fight. Anna had hoped for a day of reflection and quiet prayer by families, thanking God for all that mothers had done.***
- The first Mother’s Day observance was a Philadelphia church service in 1908.**
- The Great Mother, Kali Ma
BONUS QUESTION ANSWER
Lina delivered a 6½-pound boy by cesarean section at an age of 5 years and 7 months. The child was raised as her brother and only discovered that Lina was his mother when he was 10. This event is authenticated.***
The oldest mother, Maria del Carmen Bousada Lara (Spain, b. 5 January 1940), gave birth by caesarean section to twin boys, Christian and Pau, aged 66 years 358 days at the Sant Pau hospital, Barcelona, Spain on 29 December 2006. Maria received IVF treatment in America (by lying that her age was 55 years), after being rejected for treatment in Spain. She is unmarried.^^^
69. Between 1725 and 1765, in a total of 27 confinements, she gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets, and four sets of quadruplets. 67 of them survived infancy. (The odds of a woman delivering twins is 1-in-33. Her odds of having triplets or other multiple births was approximately 1-in-539.) She made it into the Guinness Book of Records in 1997 for giving birth to most children****
Hugs for Monte’s Mother, Gertrude, who birthed 10 children, and my Mother, Nancy, who birthed 9 children.