Hug for Lois
11 FACTS ABOUT THE BEATLES
(Pictures of the “Beatles” taken during Ligonier Days, Ligonier, PA, October 2013)
Fifty years ago, on February 9, 1964, the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.
“The world was changed forever,” says Kit O’Toole, 41, a Chicago-based Beatles researcher and popular culture and music writer.
He will be one of the international panelists participating in a four-day conference called “It Was 50 Years Ago Today — An International Beatles Celebration,” open to the public Feb. 6 to 9 at Penn State Altoona. It will conclude with a rebroadcast of the historic Sullivan show.*
- McCartney played a a left-handed 1960 Les Paul Sunburst guitar once owned by whom?
- Paul McCartney wrote Hey Jude under what title?
- In what two American cities did the Beatles have to temporarily seek sanctuary after excited fans invaded the stage?
- The famous song; ‘Yesterday’, written by Paul McCartney had its music written before its lyrics. It is said that Paul used what word to fill the lyrics, which was later replaced by the word yesterday?
- John returned his MBE medal to the queen on November 25th, 1969, as a protest against what?
- Which two Beatles are left-handed?
- Which Beatles’ album is widely regarded as their breakout album and the first “concept album” in rock history?
- On what date did variety show host Ed Sullivan raise his right arm in a sweeping motion to announce: “Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!”?
- For whom and why did Paul McCartney write Hey Jude?
- The Beatles were formed in March of 1957 by 16-year-old John Lennon and several friends. By what two names was the group known before they became the Beatles?
The Beatles original moptop hairstyle was copied from their friend and fan, photographer, ____________, who was from _____________. ___________ was the first person to cut their hair in this style.
- Carl Grefenstette, of Pittsburgh, musician and founder of Pittsburgh Guitars. He sold it to Cheap Trick’s Rick Nielsen who, in turn, sold it to Sir Paul who used it as his primary electric guitar.*
- “Hey Jules”****
- Cleveland, Ohio, and Kansas City, Missouri**
- ‘scrambled eggs’***
- The Vietnam War. This action gave him added publicity for his peace crusade.**
- Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.***
- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band ****
- 8 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 9, 1964*
- For John’s son Julian Lennon as a message to Julian during his parent’s divorce. ****
- First, the Blackjacks, and later the Quarrymen ****
BONUS QUESITON ANSWER
The Beatles original moptop hairstyle was copied from their friend and fan, photographer, Jürgen Vollmer, who was from Hamburg, Germany. Jürgen Vollmer was the first person to cut their hair in this style.