April 27, 2013

A Day in Ligonier Valley: April 27, 2013



APRIL 27, 2013

April 27, 2013, day began with the usual: newspaper and coffee. But this day there was a difference. I was indulging while sitting on our swing on the enclosed front porch.

The reverie was interrupted by a phone call from my bonus daughter. Her niece, Laken, 19, had been in a serious automobile accident and was clinging to life by a thread. She’d been struck by a truck on a country road near Lockport, New York, where she lives. Please pray for her and for her family to be sustained through whatever happens.


About 9:00 a. m. Monte headed out to work on the Laurel Mountain Park and pool cleanup project, preparing the Park property for the summer pool season. At almost 9:30 a. m. I passed the workers as I headed to Ligonier, three miles east of our Borough. I knew I would be late for the Ligonier Valley Trail Pedestrian Bridge Ribbon Cutting and walk scheduled for 9:30 but it didn’t matter. This event, closing out Earth Day Week, celebrated the completion of a bridge over Mill Creek and a half-mile walking trail. I was honored to be among the first to walk over the bridge and along the trail after the ribbon cutting. Two delights of the walk was the view of Mill Creek and the view of the Marker farm, now home to numerous cows who came to the fence to greet us. At the end of the walk the bridge was christened with champagne.

The bridge is located behind Weller Field and can be accessed from Boquet Street in Ligonier.

Ligonier Valley Trail Ribbon Cutting

Ligonier Valley Trail Ribbon Cutting

Start of the first hike

Start of the first hike




The trail is 0.51 miles one way

The trail is 0.51 miles one way

Christening the bridge with champagne

Christening the bridge with champagne

A piece of the ribbon for a child's memory book

A piece of the ribbon for a child’s memory book


I’d been waiting for a scheduled drug disposal date and location. The Ligonier site was held at the Township Municipal complex on Rt. 711 north, and was manned by the mandatory police officers.


Next stop: Agway, for some pole bean seed. Naturally I couldn’t stop at just one: I also chose Swiss chard, summer squash and popcorn seed. I greeted the store mascot, a gray cat named Gertie after purchasing the seed, and received permission to take photographs. While doing so I discovered I could purchase
hollyhock plants.  I’d been after those for several years so I chose three.







Heading home, I stopped at the Laughlintown Post Office, with five minutes to spare. Nothing special in the post office box.


I debated whether to stop at the yard sale sponsored by the Compass Inn. As I passed I yielded to temptation just to see the tables and to ask people how it went. It was the tail end of the sale time, but one person said they did well, another did OK. I talked to a friend, Evelyn Ruffing, who had a table.

Evelyn Ruffing

Evelyn Ruffing

I admired the earrings being sold by the Girl Scout Troop #80401 from Latrobe. They were made from plastic bags and pop bottle tabs by the seven tenth grade members of the Troop led by Jan Mill.




The  Laurel Mountain Park cleanup had just ended. Dan and Gretchen were still there, talking, so the only photo I could get was of the clean area. Kudos to the volunteers who worked hard to clear the pool area of its winter debris.



When I arrived home I decided it was rest time, and watched a move Life as We Know It, a soft romance.  About a quarter of the way into the movie I decided to make popcorn, then I folded laundry, picked up clothes I’d left laying around the family room, and continued sorting items for a hopefully upcoming yard sale.


After the movie ended I cleaned debris out of the car and then rested for a while again. After all, I’d only had a short rest before.


Then I gathered some finger food—crackers, cheese, dried cranberries—and headed for a friend’s house for our Saturday evening Whiners group, a special time three to five of us try to arrange once weekly. Our hostess this week made a casserole and someone else brought a cherry pie.

Home around 9:30 p. m., nearly time for a good night’s rest. No phone messages. Must be Laken is holding her own.

Another day in the continuing journey of Carolyn Cornell Holland.



Mount Katahdin’s Angry God. Pamola

A Rude Driver’s Apology



Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

What is your opinion?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: