CAROLYN'S COMPOSITIONS

October 22, 2010

26 Devotions Based on the Alphabet: The Letter G


26 DEVOTIONS BASED ON THE ALPHABET:

THE LETTER  G

Monte Holland

Several persons have expressed an interest in having my husband, the Rev. Monte W. Holland, post an online series of devotions. Through their encouragement, Monte will post a weekly devotion on CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS. To read the introduction click on 26 Devotions Based on the Alphabet: Introduction. Click on  26 Devotions Based on the Alphabet: The Letter F    to read the previous post on the letter F.

Return to this site each Saturday to read his devotions.  Carolyn C. Holland

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 ALPHABET OF THE BIBLE – THE LETTER G

      Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back. (Luke 6:38)

     This series of alphabet of Bible verses is intended to cover the gamut of physical and spiritual expressions of our faith. In preceding verses we dealt with acknowledging our sinfulness (Romans 3:23), showing concern for others (Galatians 6:2), sharing our burdens with God (1 Peter 5:7), establishing a stronger relationship with God (James 4:8), praising God (Psalm 100:4), and dealing with fear (2 Timothy 1:7).

     Our G verse moves us in another challenging direction.

     We hear the preceding six verses and at least nod our heads, even if we aren’t ready to live them to the fullest. Stewardship is another matter. Perhaps we handle stewardship of words and time, but stewardship of possessions is a stickier matter. It is the issue of ownership that causes so much trouble. Divorce cases in court, patent disputes, and family conflicts over spending revolve around over ownership issues.

     Jesus came at physical possessions in a totally different way, a way that is foreign to many of our day.

     All people are stewards. What we are in charge of by physically holding it, or by having a deed or bill of sale, is on loan from God. Not only is it on loan from God, but it is entrusted to us to use to the honor of God.

     Jesus knew the Old Testament standard of the tithe. That established that God gave us possession of all we had, giving us the use of 90% of it and expecting us to dedicate the other 10% to God’s work. In this verse Jesus doesn’t mention a percentage, instead stating the more you dedicate to God’s work the more you will be blessed.

     God has high expectations of us. Current arguments over government spending and tax revolts threaten to “throw the baby out with the bath water.” Will persons who receive great tax savings, through reduced government spending, be good stewards? Are they now dedicating 10% or more to God’s work? In my local church experience, few of the most financially blessed dedicated even close to a tithe to God’s work.

     Being a steward in the best sense, accepting God’s ownership of all we have, remains one of the challenging issues in living out our faith.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

To read 26 DEVOTIONS BASED ON THE ALPHABET: THE LETTER H, click on: 26 Devotions Based on the Alphabet: The Letter H

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don’t miss Monte’s devotions.

Subscribe to CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS today

TO RECEIVE E-MAIL NOTIFICATION

OF NEW POSTS

(to subscribe see upper right hand post on this site—

Notification will begin after you confirm your subscription

in the e-mail you will receive from wordpress.com.

Your e-mail address will not be published. )

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

 ADDITIONAL READING:

26 Devotions Based on the Alphabet: Introduction

October 13, 2010: The San Jose Mine Rescue

AQUILA AND PRISCILLA: A Script on their Marriage

Kathy Kelly, of Voices of Wilderness: On Peace

The Old Rocker

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

What is your opinion?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: