Hugs for the Borinsky brothers
11 FACTS ABOUT LENT
Lent is a period of time before Easter, a time to delve into God’s word. CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS posted three different studies you can follow during Lent:
and/or one 27-day study:
- What is the origin of the word Lent?
- Lent begins Ash Wednesday and spans how many days?
- The object of Lenten fasting is self-discipline. In ancient times what else was a person supposed to do?
- In 2011 the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) launched a website offering what?
- What is the color that symbolizes Lent?
- When did it become legal for Christians to celebrate Lent?
- In 2010 what did Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Oscar Cruz say Catholics should abstain from during lent, as a form of sacrifice?
- What differentiates Lent between Western Christianity and Eastern Christianity?
- What exceptions does the church make in their Lenten fasting standards?
- In some cultures the day before the start of Lent is called Mardi Gras (Carnival). It is one last time to do things not permitted during the fast. This day is also known as Shrove Tuesday. Why?
Lent lasts 40 days because 40 is a significant number in Jewish-Christian Scripture. What four events lasted 40 days?
To learn the answers click on MORE